Overview

The Lord Poulett Arms is a traditional yet stylish thatched pub, which first opened it’s doors in 1680, located in the heart of the historic and very pretty village of Hinton Saint George, near Crewkerne, 5 minutes off the A303 in some of Somerset’s most stunning countryside. Two and a half hours from London by car or train, 35 minutes from Lyme Regis, The Lord Poulett Arms offers great food and drink in a classic pub environment with all the comforts of a smart hotel, but at great prices from £85 per room b&b.

Get Directions

Refined bedrooms, superb food

There is a main bar, further dining rooms, a terrace courtyard, a beautiful garden (with an unusual Basque Pelota wall at the end and a Provencal Petanque piste).  Upstairs there are 2 bedrooms, each with it’s own ensuite bathroom, and 2 smaller bedrooms with private bathrooms across the corridor and a large loft room.

Opening Hours

We are open for breakfast at 8am.

Monday – Saturday
8am to 11.00pm

Sunday
8am to 10.30pm


History

The Lord Poulett Arms is at the heart of Hinton St George, Somerset, where the pub once served as an inn for travellers from 1680. Much of the town was developed under the the direction of lords Poulett who were extending their house and estate, the village has 2 listed buildings, the Church of St George, built in the 13th century with masons who worked on Wells Cathedral and the village cross, a grade II scheduled monument.

The Poulett Family

The last Earl of Poulett died in 1973, though much of the towns history is intertwined with that of the Poulett family, having played such a prominent role in the town and the effect Hinton House’s development also had on it. The distinctive coat of arms (three swords pointing towards the the shield base) serves as the crest for this pub.


The Terrace, The Gardens and The Pelota Wall

At the rear of the pub there is  a seating terrace then there are two gardens for your enjoyment. The first has a French feel and the herbs grown are all used in the kitchen. On the right hand side there is a Petanque piste, the boules are stored behind the bar and on non-league evenings they are available to anyone who wants to play. The second garden is in the process of becoming a wild flower meadow with fruit trees, encouraging wild life back to our gardens.

At the far end of the gardens is a Pelota wall standing over 30 feet high. It is one of five in South Somerset and built from local stone. Fives is a ball game played with the hand using a leather ball and thought to be the forerunner of squash. It has been suggested that monks introduced the game from the Basque country when they arrived here to build monasteries in the 16th century. The game was often played up against church towers much to the dissatisfaction of both vicars and their congregations, particularly concerned about the large bills for repairing windows. On one side of Montacute church players removed the stone ornaments from the wall to provide a flat playing surface. The vicar was so infuriated that he placed a heavy old market cross in the centre of the playing area so the game could no longer be played. At the base of Martock church tower you can see a set of holes in the wall, which are thought to be scoring holes.

The other Pelota walls are in South Petherton, Shepton Beauchamp, Stoke Sub Hamdon and Martock.